137580Re: Vim warns of swap files in "/var/tmp/"

  • Eric Weir
    May 11, 2013
      On May 10, 2013, at 7:46 PM, Ben Fritz wrote:

      > On Friday, May 10, 2013 8:34:03 AM UTC-5, Eric Weir wrote:
      >> Just now on the macbook I executed the vimwiki command to rename a link and it asked if I wanted to create a new folder on android file path. I thought maybe I'd accidentally copied the android .vimrc to the home folder on my macbook, but I checked and I had not. My vim [macbook] and vim touch [table] setups are identical except for the paths to folders need by my plugins. I assumed it was safe to sync the .vim folders between the two systems, but I'm guessing that it's not.
      > Syncing .vim folders, if you do it right, is perfectly safe. Many people keep their .vim files on Bitbucket or Github or whatever and sync between computers and operating systems all the time.

      I assumed that to be the case, too, which was why I was syncing the setups on the two systems. But when I execute a command in *macvim* and am asked if I want to create a folder on an *android* path, I, in my naiveté, suspect that my macvim setup has somehow picked up something from my android setup. That seems to be confirmed by the fact that when I restored the backup of the .vim folder on the macbook I started getting what looked like macvim instead of what looked like gvim.

      >> I've disabled syncing between the tablet and the macbook and will go back into my backups before I started syncing the two systems and restore my .vim folder from there.
      > How are you syncing things?

      Via SugarSync.

      Eric Weir

      "Any assurance economists pretend to with
      regard to cause and effect is merely a pose."

      - Emanuel Derman