137527Re: Removing junk .swp files

  • Gary Johnson
    May 8, 2013
      On 2013-05-08, Paul wrote:
      > On Wednesday, 01 May, 2013 at 20:11:08 BST, Mike Hume wrote:
      > >You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
      > >
      > >set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
      > >
      > >If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
      > >recursively find and delete them:
      > >
      > >find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf
      >
      > I don't recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it
      > doesn't check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a
      > more efficient command:
      >
      > find ~ -type f -name \*.swp -delete

      Also, not all swap files end in .swp. If Vim needs to create a swap
      file and one ending in .swp already exists, Vim will use the
      extension .swo for the new one and .swn after that. I think it just
      continues backwards through the alphabet. So using something like

      \*.sw[nop]

      or even

      \*.sw?

      would be more thorough.