137377Re: Vim Touch for Android

  • Eric Weir
    Apr 25, 2013
      Thanks, Jeroen,

      On Apr 23, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

      > On 04/22/2013 03:55 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
      >
      > Maybe try creating a documents folder inside the /storage/emulated/0/
      > directory. I think from inside Vim Touch you will be able to refer to
      > that as ~/documents, so that your existing configuration works.

      Yes, it worked.

      > That mostly depends on your personal preference and the length of your
      > .vimrc file. I try to keep only one .vimrc, but my vimrc is over 600
      > lines, so maintaining multiple copies would be a disaster. I do however
      > also maintain a 'mini-vimrc'-file with the (for me) bare minimum config,
      > which I use on my Raspberry Pi and on servers.

      Ah, you have a Raspberry Pi. You seem to go in for minatures. Except in .vimrcs. Mine is a lot shorter.

      >> With a little more experience with the tablet under my belt I am
      >> still thinking about returning the Nexus 7---I have 14 days from
      >> date of purchase to do so---and exchanging it for a nexus 7. While
      >> I'm impressed with the android apps I've found, I see myself
      >> continuing to do everything but run vim on the ipad. Again, what do
      >> you think?
      >
      > Again this is personal preference. Before the Nexus 7, I had a 10"
      > tablet (from Eken) because I suspected that a 7" would be to small. Now
      > that I have a 7", I actually prefer that because it is much more
      > convenient to take with me.
      > But on the Nexus 7 in landscape mode you only have a few lines available
      > for the content of your file as the keyboard fills up half the screen,
      > as you can see on this screenshot:
      > https://www.dropbox.com/s/576imukfgedxter/Screenshot_2013-04-23-22-20-44.png
      > (I have the font size set to 14pt in Vim Touch).
      > In portrait there is a lot more space, but the hackers keyboard becomes
      > really tiny. On my Nexus 4 (4.7") I use also use the hackers keyboard
      > for Vim Touch but there I use the compact qwerty layout for portrait
      > (it's somewhere in the settings of the keyboard).

      I'm gonna give it a shot on the 7. My vim window on my macbook is pretty small. About 11 X 11 cm. If I can get Vim Touch running satisfactorily and find the 7 too small, I'll get myself another 10.

      Didn't know about the compact qwerty layout.

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA
      eeweir@...

      "Everywhere the crisis of the private financial system
      has been transformed into a tale of slovenly and overweening government
      that perpetuates and is perpetuated by a dependent and demanding population."

      - Marilynne Robinson