137355Re: Consider lines containing a tab a paragraph boundary

  • Christian Brabandt
    Apr 24, 2013
      On Wed, April 24, 2013 11:38, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Christian Brabandt wrote:
      >> On Sa, 20 Apr 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >> > I wonder if changing 'paragraphs' and 'sections' into a regexp that
      matches at what's between paragraphs is sufficient. How about this
      style with two paragraphs:
      >> Did this and updated the example. Would this be acceptable?
      > Hmm, I think what we really want is to match the text from the end of
      one paragraph until the start of the next one. The example with "/^$"
      would still work to have empty-line separated paragraphs. Paragraphs
      that start with an indent would be found with "/^\s\+".

      correct.

      > You could then also allow more than one empty line between paragraphs
      with "/^\n*$".

      That would be possible, but doesn't really change the cursor motion. Take
      the example from the patch:
      ----------------------------
      1 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
      2 consetetur sadipscing elitr,
      3 sed diam
      4
      5
      6 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
      7 consetetur sadipscing elitr,
      8 sed diam

      If the 'para' option is set to '/^$' moving using '}' will first move to
      line 4, the next paragraph motion will move to line 5. Typing '}' again
      will then move the cursor at the end of the last line.

      Even is you use the /^\n\+$ as regular expression, the cursor will still
      jump to the exact same positions, as line 4 and line 5 match
      that regular expression. We could make it jump to the end of the match
      using the SEARCH_END flag and then advance the cursor one more position,
      but this would only work on forward searches, this doesn't seem to work
      for backward searches:
      https://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/d82897dd34010e93?hl=de

      regards,
      Christian