137315Re: Vim Touch for Android

  • Eric Weir
    Apr 21, 2013
      Thanks very much for the detailed response, Jeroen. It is very helpful.

      On Apr 21, 2013, at 1:29 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

      > On 04/20/2013 04:56 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
      > Since the runtime extends the Vim Touch app, it doesn't show up as a
      > separate app. To verify that it is installed, you can check in Google
      > Play that it says 'installed', and also by launching Vim Touch and
      > doing something like `:e ~/`. If this gives a filelisting in netrw,
      > you have the runtime installed.

      It appears to be installed. Although when I started Vim Touch the first time today I got an option to install the runtime package, I could not tell until just now that it was in fact installed.

      Curious. Why doesn't 'E' work. When I try it Vim Touch crashes.

      >> Also uncertain what I do to replicate---as near as possible; you
      >> and others have indicated it should close to perfect---the Vim
      >> installation on my MacBook.
      > You simply upload your .vimrc-file and .vim-folder onto the device. On
      > a Nexus device you should place the file & folder into
      > /storage/emulated/0/ (or as mentioned in the vimtouch mailinglist into
      > /sdcard, which is the same location on a Nexus device).
      > To easily upload your configuration you can either attach your device
      > to your computer with USB as a Media device (MTP) (not a good option
      > on Ubuntu). Or you can use the Open Source FTP Server app [1] to start
      > an FTP server on your Nexus and use a program such as Filezilla on
      > your computer. Or another easy solution is to use DropSync [2] to sync
      > your config with Dropbox.

      I've found a file manager app---FolderSync---that looks like I can use it to move files to/from folders synced through SugarSync, Dropbox and numerous other syncing services.

      > Some other tips:
      > * I keep my entire config inside the .vim folder, including my .vimrc
      > file (as 'vimrc' without a dot). This makes it easier to sync with
      > DropSync as I only have to sync a single folder.
      > Then I manually created a .vimrc file (in /storage/emulated/0) with
      > one line:
      > runtime vimrc
      > this will load the vimrc file from inside your .vim folder. (this
      > works on any Vim, not just on Android)

      I'll keep this in mind.

      Above you say files should go into "/storage/emulated/0/" and in "/storage/emulated/0". Which is it.

      > * To check if you are running on Android, for example for
      > Android-specific configuration, you can use the following check in
      > your .vimrc:
      > if $VIM =~ 'vimtouch'
      > " do some Android specific configuration here
      > endif

      I don't understand this.

      >> I have a concern about android. When I went to download the
      >> hacker's keyboard I noticed that the permissions indicated that I
      >> would be giving pretty complete access to my entire system to
      >> anyone who wanted access to it. It even cautions "malicious apps
      >> may share contact data without your knowledge." I understand that
      >> this is standard for the android OS, and with few exceptions most
      >> apps. Perhaps I don't understand, but as I understand I find this
      >> disturbing.
      > If you install and use an alternative keyboard, Android will indeed
      > give you a rather scary warning. However it is not as bad as you
      > describe. First, it is only for that keyboard app. All apps which you
      > install have to request various permissions to be able to do stuff,
      > such as read your contacts. You can inspect those permissions when
      > installing the app (in the confirmation dialog on Google Play) or for
      > an already installed app through settings > apps & then tap an app to
      > open the details (permissions are at the bottom).

      Thanks for this. It's reassuring. It wasn't that I didn't trust the hacker's keyboard developer, but the explanation of the permissions made it sound like in installing the keyboard I would be giving access to my contacts, etc., etc., etc. to everybody under the sun.

      > For a keyboard app, yes that will be able to read anything you type,
      > but if you think about it, that's only normal. You use that app to
      > enter text into the system, which is only possible if the app knows
      > what you want to type. The same concern can be made about hardware
      > keyboards. If you buy a real keyboard, you also have to trust the
      > manufacturer not to include some extra hardware to capture all your
      > text and send it somewhere (unless you open each keyboard and check
      > the internals? :) )
      >> Any help you might be able to give would be greatly appreciated.
      > I hope this helps you get started on your Android adventure! Feel free
      > to mail more questions :)

      It helps *a lot*! And I appreciate it very much. The offer of future help, too. I'm sure there will be more questions.

      I'm kinda surprised at how little I know my way around Vim Touch. I assumed that my level of comfort with regular Vim would carry over to getting Vim Touch set up. In fact it seems like a completely different app at this point.

      > [1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.ppareit.swiftp&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImJlLnBwYXJlaXQuc3dpZnRwIl0.
      > [2] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.dropsync&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50dHhhcHBzLmRyb3BzeW5jIl0.

      I'll keep these in mind, but I think---I hope!---FolderSync will take care of syncing and file management needs.

      I'm looking forward to getting Vim back. It feels like it's going to take a while to get to the level of comfort that I'm sued to with regular Vim.

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA

      "You keep on learning and learning, and pretty soon
      you learn something no one has learned before."

      - Richard Feynman