137296Re: Vim freezes with 100% cpu usage on exit

  • Dominique PellĂ©
    Apr 19, 2013
      Thiago Padilha <tpadilha84@...> wrote:

      > Sometimes when I reattach to the tmux session after the virtual machine
      > has been frozen for a long time vim freezes right away without consuming 100% cpu,
      > This is really annoying me, I was hoping someone could give me hints on how to debug this issue.

      You could build vim with debug information (-g -O0). Then, when bug
      happens & Vim uses 100% of the CPU, you can attach with gdb to the
      Vim process that hogs the CPU, and look at the stack trace. That may
      give useful information to debug it.

      $ gdb
      (gdb) attach pid
      (gdb) bt

      (where pid is he process ID of the Vim process using 100% of the CPU)

      You can then continue with...

      (gdb) c

      ... and press CTRL-C in gdb to stop vim and run bt again to see if you
      get similar stack trace. You can repeat that a few times to get a feeling
      of what Vim is doing.