137132RE: UFT-8/16 help needed (How to set up Outlook 2010 / Vim 7.3 to have OutlookVim with Unicode (UTF-8) support?)

  • John Beckett
    Apr 8, 2013
      David Fishburn wrote:
      > From Visual Basic code we are using CreateTextFile() with the
      > unicode flag turned on.
      >
      > This apparently writes out a file in unicode.
      >
      > We want to open this file in Vim, but can't really figure out
      > what settings and command lines to use to successfully open
      > the file.
      >
      > I am having a hard time with Google and Microsoft trying to
      > determine when CreateTextFile() is used, what type of encoding
      > is used on the file. I believe it has a BOMB and it might be
      > utf-16.
      >
      > Assuming this, I thought the following would be enough for Vim
      > to open the file successfully:
      > :set fileencodings=utf-8,ucs_bom,utf-16
      > :e ++enc=utf-16 myfile

      I have not tried the above, but exporting a registry file on
      older Windows systems writes in an encoding where the above
      (++enc=utf-16) does not work. The correct command is:

      :e ++enc=utf-16le myfile

      If your script runs Vim, it may be possible to use the -cmd
      option to set the correct encoding (although for all I know it
      would vary depending on Windows version!?).

      My experience is that fiddling with fileencodings is generally
      NOT satisfactory, and the default setting on Windows works fine
      (I think you need the BOM first). The first two lines of the
      _vimrc file should be:

      set nocompatible
      set encoding=utf-8

      and do NOT set fileencodings. The Unicode default will then
      apply, namely:

      :set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,default,latin1

      John