137088Re: Weird:: substitute by using register with combinations

  • William Fugh
    Apr 6, 2013

      On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 3:44 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

      I had to try it out to determine what you meant, but I reproduced the problem in Windows 7 64-bit, running Vim 7.3.822.
      Thank you, Sir. Here is the thing.

      Sometimes i have to execute a number of substitutions over and over again from testing, inspection to confirmation, which covers various aspects of various combinations(e.g. historical characters of Proto-Indo-European). Just like:
      =============================
      %s#_piechar1_#u̯#g
      %s#_piechar2_#œ̄#g
      %s#_piechar3_#i̷#g
      %s#_piechar4_#x̿#g
      %s#_piechar5_#y̥#g
      %s#_piecharn_#t̞#g
      =============================
      So I usually save/modify/keep these commands in a file, test them one by one. After verification,  I copy all of them into a register(e.g. register w) and then run them in command-line as follows.
      :@w
      :@0
      :@:
      :@@
      Unfortunately all the above operations were failed if the command(s) contain(s) combination(s).

      On Thursday, April 4, 2013 11:53:16 PM UTC-5, William Fugh wrote:
      > It's OK if execute the following in command-line directly
      > :%s#combinations#œ̄ṣ́#g
      >
      > However, if like this:
      > :let @w = "%s#combinations#œ̄ṣ́#g"
      > :@w
      > the combinations will be lost. :-(

      I had to try it out to determine what you meant, but I reproduced the problem in Windows 7 64-bit, running Vim 7.3.822.

      Better problem description:

      With text:

        one combinations two combinations three

      Executing :%s#combinations#œ̄ṣ́#g directly, will correctly replace the text with:

        one œ̄ṣ́ two œ̄ṣ́ three

      But saving "%s#combinations#œ̄ṣ́#g" to register w, and then executing with :@w, results in:

        one œṣ two œṣ three

      Note the lack of combining characters in the resulting text.

      At this point, :reg w shows:

      --- Registers ---
      "w   %s#combinations#œ̄ṣ́#g

      So the register value was set properly, this seems like a problem in Vim.

      This all happens with gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE, after only setting encoding to utf-8 and setting an appropriate font.