137023Re: netrw copy fails, trouble installing v.147

  • Paul
    Apr 2, 2013
      On Apr 2, 5:30 pm, Paul wrote:
      >On Apr 2, 2:15 pm, Charles Campbell wrote:
      >> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >>> Vim's system files should be in c:/Program Files (x86)/Vim/vim73/
      >>> aka $VIMRUNTIME -- c:/Program Files (x86)/Vim/vimfiles/ is
      >>> $VIM/vimfiles/ which is where system-wide Vim "full-fledged
      >>> script" customizations are kept.
      >>
      >> Thank you, Tony -- I was going to check on that later when I have
      >> access to a Windows box.
      >
      > Thanks for the clarification. I did indeed try unpacking netrw
      > v.147 to both locations and confirmed that they were in each. I
      > also confirmed that all files & directories were
      > read/execute/accessible to all and that they were not user-specific
      > virtual instantiations (a Windows 7 feature). In both cases, I got
      > the same behaviour i.e. when I edited a directory, I got what
      > appeared to be an empty file.
      >
      > On a separate matter, even if I got netrw 147 working on the
      > computer for which I have admin privileges, it would not be a
      > solution for the copying of marked files by the Windows-based gvim
      > on the locked down computer (which is where I will be spending most
      > of my time). There are barriers to getting anything installed
      > there. Is there another avenue I can pursue for that scenario?

      OK, that was confusing. What I mean to say was that if netrw 147
      solves the problem on the unlocked-down machine, it requires an
      upgrade of gvim itself. For the locked down machine, such an upgrade
      would not be feasible in the near and medium term. I was wondering if
      there was anything further I could try with the existing Windows-based
      gvim, version 7.3 with patches 1-46 (version info in my original
      post).

      Thanks.