136884Re: Calling autoloaded dictionary functions

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Mar 23 9:26 AM
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > On Fr, 22 Mär 2013, Jim Stewart wrote:
      >
      > > This is an old post, but I'm glad I ran into it.
      > >
      > > I'm fairly sure you're right about this, and that it's a bug in Vim rather than intentional behavior. I think it's a side-effect of the intended behavior that references a variable won't trigger an autoload.
      > >
      > > I've been going nuts trying to debug something, and this is the exact behavior I see. I'm not going to dive into the yak shaving hole and check the Vim source tonight, but this warrants some investigation. If it's intentional, I'm not sure why; powerful things could be done with this working.
      > >
      > > If I fix it I'll try to remember to update here. This is the only comment on the net about it that I've run across so far.
      >
      > What Vim version does that happen. I don't see the error with vim
      > 7.3.854

      It's actually in the todo list:

      Using ":call foo#d.f()" doesn't autoload the "foo.vim" file.
      That is, calling a dictionary function on an autoloaded dict.
      Works OK for echo, just not for ":call" and ":call call()". (Ted, 2011 Mar
      17)

      --
      Warning label on a superhero Halloween costume:
      "Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."