136825Re: Replacing CRLF

  • Gary Johnson
    Mar 20, 2013
      On 2013-03-20, george gutman wrote:
      > On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 4:20 AM, Jerry Rocteur wrote:
      >> Hi George,
      >> On 16 Feb 2013, at 07:03, George Gutman wrote:
      >>> I'm using Vim under Windows (XP and 7). I would like to universally
      >>> replace text which includes a CRLF with some other text. In MSWord I can
      >>> represent CRLF as ^p, but MSWord unfortunately does not behave well with
      >>> the large files I'm working with. So how can I do this in Vim?
      >> When you're in vi or vim, put yourself in insert mode and then type CTRL V
      >> Once you've typed CTRL V you can now type and control character, such as
      >> CTRL M or CTRL L
      >> CTRL M is carriage return
      >> CTRL L is line feed

      > Jerry,
      > Just got back to this issue... I actually had gotten this advice from Mr.
      > Google, but it doesn't work for me, if I go into insert mode and type CTRL V,
      > all that happens is that the contents of the Windows scrap get pasted at the
      > position of the cursor. (I think I also replied on the group, but I'm not sure
      > if it was successful...).

      To start with, Ctrl-V is the traditional character used to quote
      special characters such as control characters. Because Windows uses
      Ctrl-V for pasting, Vim is often configured on Windows to use Ctrl-Q
      where it would normally use Ctrl-V. See

      :help CTRL-V-alternative
      :help i_CTRL-V

      That said, replacing CRLF is a whole other problem. CRLF is the
      DOS/Windows EOL sequence. Vim treats EOL sequences specially. They
      usually don't even appear in a buffer. How you treat them depends
      on what you want to do with them.

      If you have a file with only CRLF line endings and all you want to
      do is convert them to LF line endings, Vim can do that
      automatically. Vim will open that file as 'fileformat' "dos". You
      won't see any CRLFs in the buffer. Simply

      :set ff=unix

      and the file will be saved with LF (Unix) line endings.

      If you have a file that contains a mixture of CRLF and LF line
      endings, Vim will load that file as 'fileformat' "unix", hide all
      the LFs at the line endings, and show the CRs as ^M. You can delete
      all those ^Ms either by executing

      where ^Q and ^M are Ctrl-Q and Ctrl-M, respectively, or by executing

      :help /\r

      If none of that works for you, come back with a more specific
      explanation of what you are trying to do and we'll help you with the