136824Re: Replacing CRLF

  • george gutman
    Mar 20, 2013
      Jerry,

      Just got back to this issue...  I actually had gotten this advice from Mr. Google, but it doesn't work for me, if I go into insert mode and type CTRL V, all that happens is that the contents of the Windows scrap get pasted at the position of the cursor.  (I think I also replied on the group, but I'm not sure if it was successful...).

      Thanks,

      On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 4:20 AM, Jerry Rocteur <macosx@...> wrote:
      Hi George,

      On 16 Feb 2013, at 07:03, George Gutman wrote:

      > I'm using Vim under Windows (XP and 7).  I would like to universally
      > replace text which includes a CRLF with some other text.  In MSWord I can
      > represent CRLF as ^p, but MSWord unfortunately does not behave well with
      > the large files I'm working with.  So how can I do this in Vim?

      When you're in vi or vim, put yourself in insert mode and then type CTRL V

      Once you've typed CTRL V you can now type and control character, such as CTRL M or CTRL L

      CTRL M is carriage return
      CTRL L is line feed

      Having said that, a simple Google search would have given you the answers but also read these:

      http://dailyvim.blogspot.be/2009/10/ctrl-v-for-literal-characters.html
      http://www.bo.infn.it/alice/alice-doc/mll-doc/linux/vi-ex/node15.html
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Entering_special_characters

      Jerry