136781Re: Why is Vimscript/VimL much slower than Python when traversing long lists?

  • Vlad Irnov
    Mar 18, 2013
      On 3/15/13, Salman Halim <salmanhalim@...> wrote:
      > It's entirely possible that the loop in question was simply left out as a
      > compiler optimization. Modern compilers can detect no-op loops and
      > unchanging assignments and take these things out of the compiled code.
      >
      > Salman
      >

      > --
      > سلمان حلیم

      This is not the case here. It's easy to check that the time it takes to
      run the no-op Python loop is proportional to the number of steps, which
      means it is not skipped:

      let start = reltime()
      python for i in range(10000000): pass
      echo reltimestr(reltime(start))
      let start = reltime()
      python for i in range(100000): pass
      echo reltimestr(reltime(start))

      I also tried adding some code to the body of each loop in my first
      example and still got about 30-fold difference.

      Regards,
      Vlad