136764Why is Vimscript/VimL much slower than Python when traversing long lists?

  • John Little
    Mar 15, 2013
      Well, I know squat about Python but I presume it has a compilation phase like Perl, which compiles to "op codes" which are executed without, f. ex., variable look ups. Vim uses a pure interpreter.

      Vim script is "fast enough", and has the virtue of running anywhere vim does (well, not quite; anywhere a "normal" non-gui build does) with few dependencies, IIUC a C compiler and the standard library.

      Regards, John Little