136754Re: Why is Vimscript/VimL much slower than Python when traversing long lists?

  • Marc Weber
    Mar 15, 2013
      VimL is known to be slow.

      If you know that you need speed use python or external tools.

      Why is it the way it is? I don't know.

      Eventually wait for better replies.

      I can recommend using a disnict .py file for writing python because then
      you get all python support (syntax, completion, etc).

      If you want to learn how a .py file can be found by path have a look at
      github.com/MarcWeber/scion-backend-vim

      let s:self=expand('<sfile>:h')

      You may also want to use a str quoting function like this:

      def vimQuote(s):
      return '"%s"' % s.replace("\\","\\\\").replace('"', '\\"').replace("\n", "\\n")

      because python's to str comes only close (maybe I should retry the to
      json implementation and find out when whether it fails)

      Marc Weber