136626Re: Something is overriding my comments= commands

  • Gary Johnson
    Mar 5, 2013
      On 2013-03-05, Jason wrote:
      > I have a .vimrc where I run:
      > set comments=
      >
      > I added the command to my ~/.vim/cpp.vim file and ~/.gvimrc file
      > as well. Yet somehow, I have comments set to a non-blank value
      > that puts garbage all over my files when I run my comment creation
      > macros. I can unset it by hand in every session, but the point of
      > the .vimrc file is to avoid doing that every time.
      >
      > Is there a way to see where this is getting set? Or to somehow
      > turn it off system-wide (short of a custom compilation)?

      To see where it is getting set, execute

      :verbose set comments?

      To override a filetype plugin's setting of this, put your setting
      in, for example,

      ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/cpp.vim

      Putting your setting in ~/.vim/ftplugin/cpp.vim will not work
      because the default $VIMRUNTIME/ftplugin/cpp.vim file is loaded
      after ~/.vim/ftplugin/cpp.vim. (See ":help 'rtp'".)

      Putting your setting in ~/.vim/cpp.vim will not work because Vim
      does not read that file unless you source it explicitly.

      You may want to read

      :help ftplugin-overrule
      :help startup

      Regards,