136331Re: _vimrc not run when invoking gvim on text file from context menu

  • Paul
    Feb 21, 2013

      On Feb 21, 1:05 pm, Paul <paul.domas...@...> wrote:
      > I found the solution after a simple read of ":help vimrc". Set the
      > environment variable VIMINIT to
      > source $USERPROFILE\_vimrc
      > For any other system or computing environment, I strongly suspect
      > that one can use whatever path is to your _vimrc if it isn't
      > $USERPROFILE \_vimrc.

      I should clarify that it is the user-specific environment variable
      VIMINIT in Windows that I set above.

      However, it isn't the greatest solution. This environment variable
      propagates where one does not expect. For example, it propagates to
      cygwin's bash, which causes problems when one invokes gvim from the
      bash command line. The installation of gvim being invoked from bash
      is different from the Windows installation of gvim, and the path
      $USERPROFILE/_vimrc doesn't work because $USERPROFILE uses Windows
      path notation. The solution (being validated) is to set VIMINIT
      explicitly in the bashrc file.