136329_vimrc not run when invoking gvim on text file from context menu

  • Paul
    Feb 21, 2013
      In Windows 7, I got a program "pinned" to the taskbar. It is
      basically a shortcut with the "Target" field set to:

      "C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim73\gvim.exe" -u _vimrc

      and the "Start in" field set to $USERPROFILE. The _vimrc is also in
      $USERPROFILE, so it runs when gvim is started.

      However, when I right click on a text file in Windows Explorer and
      choose "Edit with vim", _vimrc is not run. Is something I can do to
      have it run?

      There are restrictions that a solution would have to observe. First
      is that I don't have admin privileges, so I can only stick _vimrc in
      places where $USERNAME can write. Also, $HOME is not a good place for
      it because it is set to a network drive. Finally, since I'm invoking
      gvim from the context menu, I'm not aware of a way to set environment
      variables for such an invocation of vim (unlike the case invoking vim
      from a script or command line).