136228Re: mapping a substitute for the Esc key?

  • Erik Christiansen
    Feb 18, 2013
      On Feb 18, 2013, at 4:54 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@...> wrote:
      > Question for all of you: What's your favorite substitute for Esc,
      > whether a keystroke, key combination, or key sequence?

      The tiny and distant Esc key on laptops quickly forced me to find
      something better, primarily for vim, but necessarily consistent for
      _all_ applications, so that muscle memory can be relied upon, whatever
      you're doing. So I just changed the CapsLock key to Esc:

      Added to ~/.Xmodmap:

      keycode 0x42 = Escape
      clear Lock # Disable Caps-Lock

      I'm still using the cursor keys for motion, despite decades as a
      programmer, and have been happy with that Esc on laptops and desktops
      for years now.

      Erik

      --
      Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but
      coaxed down-stairs a step at a time.