136181Re: trouble with pattern, character collections

  • Marc Weber
    Feb 17, 2013
      > It depends. Within a text file those control chars can occur and you
      > usually want them to be matched by '.' (or [^\n] which is the same).
      Thanks for explaining it to me.

      So we've hit the true question:

      Should '.' behave the same way as [^\n] ?

      Who is going to write [^\n] if you can use '.' ?

      From my point of view there is no use of [^\n] other than causing

      New arguments for keeping surprising [^\n] behaviour?

      Let's ask in a different way: Is there a use case for [^\n] like
      patterns at all (except that '.' which can be expressed as '.')?

      Marc Weber