136155Re: Loading directory of files, into a single file, in VIM

  • Tim Chase
    Feb 16, 2013
      On 2013-02-16 13:02, Russell Urquhart wrote:
      > I have a directory of html files, (that are actually xml files,
      > misnamed extension wise.) I would like to have all those files
      > loaded, one after another into a single file, is that possible in
      > Vim?

      There are several ways to go about this. One can create the combined
      file on-disk with something like

      vim *.html
      :argdo w! >> combined.xml

      which will load up each HTML file and then iterate over them,
      appending them to a file on disk.

      Alternatively, you can accumulate them in a register, e.g. "z" with

      vim *.html
      :let @z='' | argdo %y Z
      :new
      "zpdd

      which will iterate over all your HTML files appending their contents
      to the "z" register (the uppercase version appends, as noted at
      ":help quotea"). It then creates a new buffer, pastes the contents
      of the "z" register, and deletes the blank line under which it was
      pasted.

      Note that in both case, you can modify the range to select a subset
      of the file, so if you just want to write the <body> content, you can
      do something like

      :argdo /<body/+1,/<\/body>/-1w! >> combined.xml

      Hope this gives you some options to work with.

      -tim