136147Re: Gurus - does/can Vim have a functionality resembling Info?

  • Philip Rhoades
    Feb 16, 2013
      Erik,

      On 2013-02-22 17:56, dvalin@... wrote:
> [...]
      >> files
      >> as standard txt files but I would be good to have something like the
      >> functionality of the "info" utility to enable easy navigation of the
      >> file
      >> "nodes" from a table of contents at the top of the file. I did think
      >> about
      >> just using "info" itself but that is overkill and too much of a pain
      >> . .
      >
      > The same thing happened to me as my sysadmin, text_tools,
      > sw_development, gnu_tools survival notes grew to 300 pages. I've found
      > that Vim's folding does the job of providing hierarchy. The ability to
      > nest folds is perfect for that, and allowed significant improvements
      > in
      > cohesiveness of the information, since it revealed sections in
      > suboptimal places.
      >
      > To instantly zap to sections nested several levels down, I've
      > capitalised keywords, and suffixed a colon. e.g. The default view is:
      >
      > UNIX USER ENVIRONMENT & TOOLS 56 P
      >
      > TEXT TOOLS & PRINTING 42 P
      >
      > LINUX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION 133 P
      >
      > PROGRAMMING & EMBEDDED TOOLS 105 P
      >

      > ATTIC: ~/misc/unix/Obsolete_Help
      >
      > but typing "/VIM:" gives:
      >
      > VIM:---------------------------------------------------------------
      > {{{
      >
      > Build & Install: 26 L
      > Assorted TIPS: 3 L
      > ASCII: CHARACTER CODE 3 L
      > ASSORTED EDITING ACCELERATION HINTS: 1 P
      > ABBREVIATIONS: 12 L
      > AUTOCOMMAND: 10 L
      > BACKSPACE: 9 L
      > BINARY FILES: 4 L
      > BUFFERS: 4 L
      >
      > The length count for each section is just eye candy, generated by an
      > additional function. (These are just details of stuff I've had to look
      > up, and want quick access to when needed again one day, but I've
      > forgotten the keystrokes.)
      >
      > The commands for opening and closing folds is simple and intuitive, I
      > find. Folding and foldmethod could be set by modelines or filetype, or
      > autocommands, as desired.
      >
      > My notes on folding begin with some Vim :help topics and a hint:
      >
      > FOLDING: FOLDS: {{{
      > :h usr_28.txt :h 28.8 :h fold-expr :h folds
      > :h pattern.txt :h 'foldtext :h fold-foldtext :h foldmarker
      >
      > :h syn-fold # Syntax folding
      >
      > fdm (foldmethod): <--[ A quote from Vim's :help ]
      > The kind of folding used for the current window. Possible values:
      > |fold-manual| manual Folds are created manually.
      > |fold-indent| indent Lines with equal indent form a fold.
      > |fold-expr| expr 'foldexpr' gives the fold level of a line.
      > |fold-marker| marker Markers are used to specify folds.
      > |fold-syntax| syntax Syntax highlighting items specify folds.
      > |fold-diff| diff Fold text that is not changed.
      >
      > Debugging: :verbose set foldopen?
      >
      > Hints:
      > The easiest way to create a fold, at least with foldmethod=marker, is
      > visually highlight the block, then type "zf".

      Thanks for all that - I was familiar with a some of it. I ended up
      using the VOom plugin which makes use of a lot what you suggested but in
      a nice two panel setup - allows easy block shuffling around etc.

      > Next to 'n' and '.', folding is Vim's most glittering jewel in the
      > crown, I reckon.

      I would probably agree about the folding I think but does anyone make
      use of ALL of Vim's amazing stuff? - it would take a lifetime to learn
      it all! Another opportunity to say thanks to all the Open Source
      contributors!

      Regards,

      Phil.
      --