136076Re: vim: display â<80><99>

  • Dominique Pellé
    Feb 10, 2013
      Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

      > On 10/02/13 19:11, Dominique Pellé wrote:
      >>
      >> ping <songpingemail@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> I've copied and pasted an article from web page and it looks I got a lot
      >>> of
      >>> following:
      >>>
      >>> â<80><99>
      >>>
      >>> so essentially it should be just a ' character, for example:
      >>>
      >>> If youâ<80><99>ve
      >>>
      >>> is there a way to get them displayed/processed well?
      >>>
      >>> thanks!
      >>> regards
      >>> ping
      >>

      >> I have the same problem. When I copy paste text
      >> from Firefox into Vim running in a terminal (xfce or
      >> xterm at least), I get garbage for diacritics. If I do
      >> the same in GVim (gtk2), it works fine.
      >>
      >> Yet my settings in GVim and Vim (terminal) are
      >> identical:
      >>
      >> :set encoding?
      >> encoding=utf-8
      >>
      >> :set fileencoding?
      >> fileencoding=
      >>
      >> :set fileencodings=?
      >> fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1
      >>
      >> I'm not 100% sure, but I think it used to work fine
      >> a long time ago.
      >>
      >> Example to reproduce:
      >>
      >> 1) go to http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim in Firefox
      >>
      >> 2) select with the mouse the first sentence in
      >> Firefox which says:
      >> "Vim est un éditeur de texte, c’est-à-dire un
      >> logiciel permettant la manipulation de fichiers texte."
      >>
      >> 3) Paste in Vim (terminal) using the mouse (middle
      >> click on Linux)
      >>
      >> 4) observe that it pastes:
      >>
      >> Vim est un <e9>diteur de texte, c\u2019est-<e0>-dire un logiciel
      >> permettant la manipulation de fichiers texte.
      >>
      >> 5) Do the same with gvim (gtk2) and observe that
      >> there is no bug in Gvim
      >>
      >> I also tried with the Chromium browser (same result).
      >>
      >> The problem has to do with copy paste which loses
      >> the character encoding I think and somehow makes
      >> assumes the wrong encoding when pasting.
      >>
      >> Typing Unicode characters works fine in terminal.
      >> Copy paste from gvim into Vim (terminal) works fine.
      >>
      >> I'm using vim-7.3.806 on xubuntu-12.10, Linux x86_64.
      >>
      >> Dominique
      >>

      > With me it pastes correctly at step 2; however my system locale in bash (and
      > therefore in the terminal) is en_US.UTF-8 (most specifically, LC_CTYPE is
      > unset but LANG is set to that value), so the konsole terminal and Vim both

      I use this locale:

      $ locale
      LANG=eo.UTF-8
      LANGUAGE=eo:en_US:en
      LC_CTYPE="eo.UTF-8"
      LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
      LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
      LC_COLLATE="eo.UTF-8"
      LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
      LC_MESSAGES="eo.UTF-8"
      LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
      LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
      LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
      LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
      LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
      LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
      LC_ALL=

      But if I do "export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8"
      before starting Vim, then it works!

      So something is broken with the eo.UTF-8 locale
      somehow (using xubuntu-12.10).

      But what is strange is that the bug only affects Vim.
      Trying to paste diacritics in the shell works. It also
      works fine with other text editors in the terminal. I tried
      nano and emacs in terminal where it pasting worked
      without problem even when using the eo.UTF-8 locale.

      Regards
      Dominique