136074Re: vim: display â<80><99>

  • Dominique Pellé
    Feb 10, 2013
      ping <songpingemail@...> wrote:

      > I've copied and pasted an article from web page and it looks I got a lot of
      > following:
      >
      > â<80><99>
      >
      > so essentially it should be just a ' character, for example:
      >
      > If youâ<80><99>ve
      >
      > is there a way to get them displayed/processed well?
      >
      > thanks!
      > regards
      > ping

      I have the same problem. When I copy paste text
      from Firefox into Vim running in a terminal (xfce or
      xterm at least), I get garbage for diacritics. If I do
      the same in GVim (gtk2), it works fine.

      Yet my settings in GVim and Vim (terminal) are
      identical:

      :set encoding?
      encoding=utf-8

      :set fileencoding?
      fileencoding=

      :set fileencodings=?
      fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1

      I'm not 100% sure, but I think it used to work fine
      a long time ago.

      Example to reproduce:

      1) go to http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim in Firefox

      2) select with the mouse the first sentence in
      Firefox which says:
      "Vim est un éditeur de texte, c’est-à-dire un
      logiciel permettant la manipulation de fichiers texte."

      3) Paste in Vim (terminal) using the mouse (middle
      click on Linux)

      4) observe that it pastes:

      Vim est un <e9>diteur de texte, c\u2019est-<e0>-dire un logiciel
      permettant la manipulation de fichiers texte.

      5) Do the same with gvim (gtk2) and observe that
      there is no bug in Gvim

      I also tried with the Chromium browser (same result).

      The problem has to do with copy paste which loses
      the character encoding I think and somehow makes
      assumes the wrong encoding when pasting.

      Typing Unicode characters works fine in terminal.
      Copy paste from gvim into Vim (terminal) works fine.

      I'm using vim-7.3.806 on xubuntu-12.10, Linux x86_64.

      Dominique