135932Re: vim split window editing => separate window editing?

  • Benjamin R. Haskell
    Feb 2, 2013
      On Sat, 2 Feb 2013, Linda W wrote:

      > Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
      >> She just seems to want it as a separate window, instead of being
      >> crammed into the same Gvim application window.
      > ---
      > Yep. Many applications have the ability to detach parts of the app...
      >>
      >> But, I don't suspect the request will be fulfilled. It'd be too
      >> complicated to implement in terminal Vim. And Gvim is structured
      >> such that there's a single top-level application window. I haven't
      >> looked, but I don't think there's a nice way to handle multiple
      >> detachable windows without rewriting (much/most of) the GUI code.
      > ---
      > Really? I thought there was an ability to tear off menus at some point?
      > Or am I hallucinating that? ;-)

      I believe the tear-off menus are a built-in feature of GTK+. (Where you
      need only specify 'true' for some "This menu can be torn off" property.)
      IIRC, letting other things be "tear off" isn't as simple.

      I could be wrong. I thankfully haven't had to do much GTK programming
      in a while. Googling "GTK tear off windows" finds GtkHandleBox, so it
      /might/ be as simple as turning the (vim) tabs into handle boxes.

      --
      Best,
      Ben