135845Re: How to determine the start of a visual block (C-V) when it starts in the void?

  • Christian Brabandt
    Jan 30, 2013
      On Wed, January 30, 2013 16:49, Axel Bender wrote:
      > Hi Ben,
      >
      > try this:
      >
      > xnoremap <silent> _C :<C-U>call SomeFunc()<CR> " My current
      > mapping
      > xnoremap <silent><expr>_D SomeFunc()<CR> " John's proposal

      For expression mappings, you don't need the trailing <CR>, because
      they don't execute the rhs of the mapping, but rather evaluate it.

      > xnoremap <silent> _E SomeFunc()<CR> " same w/o <expr>

      Not sure, what you are expecting here. This won't work.

      > fun! SomeFunc()
      > let col = virtcol("'<") - 1
      > let ecol = virtcol("'>")
      >
      > for l in range(line("'<"), line("'>"))
      > call setline(l, strpart(getline(l), col, ecol - col))
      > endfor
      > endf
      >
      > Select (ve=block) a visual block from "Fun" down to "ol ", the press _C,
      > _D, and _E. Repeat the same (_C, _E) with an extended block (one line
      > further down - in the void).

      The problem is, expression-mappings are not allowed to change the
      text, therefore they can't work exactly the same. To work around this
      issue, they need to return what the user would type, which would then
      be executed. E.g. for your usecase, use this function (there might
      actually be better ways to achieve what you want, I haven't thought
      about it):

      xnoremap <silent> _C :<C-U>call SomeFunc()<CR> " My current mapping
      xnoremap <silent><expr>_D SomeFunc1() " John's proposal

      [匽

      fun! SomeFunc1()
      let col = virtcol("'<") - 1
      let ecol = virtcol("'>")
      let range= range(line("'<"), line("'>"))

      let result=printf(": for l in %s|".
      \ "call setline(l, strpart(getline(l), %d, %d))|".
      \ "endfor", string(range), col, ecol-col)
      return result
      endf

      regards,
      Christian