135759Re: Updating Syntax menu

    Jan 26, 2013
      On 26/01/13 15:34, Russell Urquhart wrote:
      > On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 06:21:45AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >>
      >> As has repeatedly been said on this list, you should NEVER change
      >> anything in the $VIMRUNTIME tree because any update can do away with
      >> your changes, without telling you that it did. You should rather save
      >> the modified version of makemenu.vim as $VIM/vimfiles/makemenu.vim
      >> (system-wide on any platform) or ~/.vim/makemenu.vim (single-user on
      >> Unix-like systems) or ~/vimfiles/makemenu.vim (single-user on Windows).
      >>

      >> Best regards,
      >> 猥ony.
      >> --
      >> Why don't elephants eat penguins ?
      >>
      >> Because they can't get the wrappers off ...
      > Hi Tony,
      >
      > Yes you are correct, i will update my user makemenu.vim accordingly. I, while i was doing this, was thinking the same thing, what do i do, if/when i update my vim. And this will work, right, because i will source THIS makemenu.vim, rather than the system wide one, right?
      >
      > Thanks for steering me in the right direction!
      >
      > Russ

      Hm, after some more searching, I could find no "makemenu.vim" at any
      depth under $VIMRUNTIME in the Vim distribution. Where I see it is in
      the source, at ./runtime/makemenu.vim, and it says it is used by "make
      menu" in the src directory, which implies a compile-time rather than
      run-time use.

      I suppose you might create an unnamed branch in your hg clone, with your
      modified runtime/makemenu.vim, and then use

      cd src
      # source any script to set config settings
      make menu

      to generate the menu.

      See also
      hg help branch
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

      The above assumes a Unix-like OS. I'm not sure which differences (if
      any) would be required to generate the menus on Windows. It may or may
      not depend on which compiler you use to compile Vim.

      "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
      there."
      -- Will Rogers