135428Re: help on syntax file for fixed-width record files

  • Vlad Irnov
    Jan 9, 2013
      On 1/9/13, Boris Danilov <brdanilov@...> wrote:
      > Dan,
      >
      >> I mostly understood *what* was happening, just not how to fix it.
      >> Unfortunately your solution didn't work for me.
      >
      > This solution is potentially slower because it rematches everything
      > several times. If your strings are really that long on some stage you
      > might encounter a lag. My idea was to just tell vim what syntax group
      > comes next, not sure what was wrong.

      Hi Boris,
      your method does work when I try it like this:

      :syntax match ARecord_RecordType "^A" nextgroup=ARecord_RecordCount
      :syntax match ARecord_RecordCount ".\{9}"
      nextgroup=ARecord_OriginatorID contained
      :syntax match ARecord_OriginatorID ".\{10}" contained

      :highlight ARecord_RecordType ctermfg=blue guifg=blue
      :highlight ARecord_RecordCount ctermfg=red guifg=red
      :highlight ARecord_OriginatorID ctermfg=yellow guifg=yellow

      It is not obvious to me why this should be (much) faster than the
      method with CONTAINS. That needs to be tested by profiling.

      Regards,
      Vlad