135256Re: Vim on the iPad

  • Chris Schneider
    Dec 30, 2012
      Vim is usable on a remote server with my ipad & external keyboard.

      I use `prompt` to ssh up to a remote server I own and then just attach to tmux from there.  Specifically I use a logitech ultrathin keyboard case.  It works well enough, but there's no explicit esc key, so you need to get used to using ctrl-[ instead.  Not that big of a deal if you do it often enough.

      On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Jeroen Budts <jeroen@...> wrote:
      On 12/30/2012 07:26 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

      > I'm likely to purchase an iPad soon and I'm wondering if there have been
      > any developments since the discussion here back in September.
      > <http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_frm/month/2012-09> At
      > that time absence of the escape and control keys, lack of a file system,
      > and getting files to and from the iPad were the main obstacles.
      >
      > There were work-arounds for most of them, but most of them, especially
      > those addressing the lack of a file system, were complicated and
      > over-the-head of this non-techie user. But that was true of Vim itself
      > when I first contemplated giving it a try, and now whether there's a way
      > to get it working on an iPad is a consideration in thinking about
      > purchasing an iPad.
      >
      > So I thought I'd check to see if the situation has changed since
      > September.

      I have no idea about the ipad, but I do have some experience in running
      Vim on a cheap Android tablet.

      For Android there are at least 3 methods:
      * vimtouch: which is a touch-optimized version of vim, but restricted by
      the normal android rules (no access to most files etc). For me
      personally that is rahter useless.
      * Terminal IDE: This is a lightweight Unix environment for Android which
      includes a fully functional vim.
      * Debian Kit: this allows you to install a full (terminal only) Debian
      (or Ubuntu) on your Android, which runs together with Android. I really
      like this, as it allows you to install most commandline applications
      using apt-get, including a full vim (with Python, Ruby) etc, with your
      own config, plugins etc.

      Considering the keyboard: if you install the 'hackers keyboard' (free
      from Google Play) you get a full qwerty keyboard which includes keys
      like control and escape.

      Not sure if this helps...

      Jeroen