135087Re: slow samba+vim, I'm out of suggestions ...

  • Ben Fritz
    Dec 19, 2012
      On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:56:07 AM UTC-6, dza wrote:
      > On Thursday, 13 December 2012 18:11:26 UTC+1, dza wrote:
      > > I wonder why my Vim is so slow over our Windows samba share - not only opening/closing is slow - also typing and edit/insert commands are slow as well :-commands, plugins, everything.
      > >
      > > Can I tame Vim running on a fileshare? Or make it cache the files locally so it doesn't slow down?
      > >
      > > I've seen alot of suggestions, but none of them seems to do the trick.
      > >
      > > For example:
      > >
      > > nofsync
      > > ttyfast
      > > ttimeout
      > > timeout
      > >
      > > Thank you very much in advance, I would really like to know how I can fix this !
      >
      > I managed to cut off some time, but still write (:w) and INSERT mode is a bit slow - when I am building up a few or 10 buffers.

      Again I ask, do other applications also have slow writes to this network share?Have you tried running Vim without any plugins or .vimrc configuration to see if the problem persists?

      Also did you try my suggestion of the 'hidden' option, or using split windows, etc. for buffer switching speed?