135047Re: slow samba+vim, I'm out of suggestions ...

  • Ben Fritz
    Dec 14, 2012
      On Friday, December 14, 2012 2:01:57 PM UTC-6, dza wrote:

      > Everytime I write a file I have to wait around 10seconds before I can continue typing.

      Unless a plugin is interfering, this sounds like it might just be a slow network share. Do other applications take a long time to write files to the network share, or is it just Vim?

      > Everytime I switch buffers I have to wait the same 10-20seconds.

      Vim keeps active buffers in RAM, but by default clears out buffer text when you leave the buffer and it is no longer visible in a window.

      You can try setting 'hidden' to help with switching buffers, since if I understand correctly Vim keeps the file in RAM then and thus need not read in the file every time it switches buffers if 'hidden' is set.

      Or, start using split windows/tab pages instead of switching buffers in the same window.

      > And now-and-then when switching between INSERT/NORMAL mode it halts again for a little less maybe 5-10 secs, but still really annoying.

      This might be a plugin or syntax folding.

      > I just tried turning "syntax off" and it didn't help as well, not for writing the files and not for navigating in general - I just deleted 2 letters with delete and then wanted to move down (j, down) and it froze again !

      Since you have 'noswapfile' set I don't expect this is caused by swap files. Since you have syntax off that can't be interfering either. Have you tried disabling all your plugins and config with vim -N -u NONE -U NONE -i NONE to see if the problem persists?