135036Re: slow samba+vim, I'm out of suggestions ...

  • dza
    Dec 14, 2012
      On Thursday, 13 December 2012 19:02:25 UTC+1, Tim Chase wrote:
      > My first thought would be to check where your swapfile is located.
      >
      > You can check the value of 'dir'
      >

      > :set dir?
      >

      > to see where Vim will try to write the swap file. If it's on a
      >
      > low-bandwidth or high-latency connection such as a shared drive, you
      >
      > might want to move it locally. You can read the grisly details at
      >

      > :help 'dir'
      >

      > Thus, you might want to remove "." from the setting for your network
      >
      > files:
      >

      > :set dir-=.
      >

      > or perhaps with an autocmd that only does that for network files.
      >

      > -tim

      Thanks Tim! I think the dir, undodir, and backupdir made a difference.

      I have set the following now-:

      set noswapfile
      set nobackup
      set nofsync
      set ttyfast
      set notimeout
      set nottimeout
      set dir -=.
      set undodir -=.
      set backupdir -=.

      It still seems to slow down periodically between modes like INSERT, navigating between buffers, and generally everything seems slowed to a point where vim is hardly not usable over a network.

      On Thursday, 13 December 2012 19:06:00 UTC+1, Ben Fritz wrote:
      > A couple of suggestions:
      >
      > Move your Vim config (.vimrc, plugins, etc.) off any network share. In my experience, my single greatest slow-down in Vim was due to running scripts off a network share.
      Thanks for your suggestions Ben, but I have all plugins, vimrc, etc. locally.