134953Re: Vim Accidental Encryption - Am I SOL?

  • shawn wilson
    Dec 9, 2012
      On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:

      > Possibly you can write a script, that feeds various combinations to vim
      > and checks, whether the file got decrypted. That sounds like a fun
      > exercise.

      Don't write a script to do this. Don't use vim to test the crypt. I
      had a brief thought about writing a simple c program but here's the
      thing, If you can download a program that goes through x passwords per
      second and your program goes through x-100 passwords per second, and
      you're looking at a length of only 4 with ~96 keyboard keys, you're
      looking at 4^96 possibilities. So do the math for the difference that
      can make. If an optimized script does 1 million per second and your
      does 999,999,000 per second - and that's .000001% of a difference in
      algorithm - you're liable to be much worse.

      So basically, figure out the algorithm, find a program that brute
      forces it (preferably utilizing your GPU), make a test file with vim,
      encrypt it with some short non-word phrase (say "q9") and run the
      cracker on that. If it works - should take a few seconds, you'll know
      you're good to run it on your actual file (or a backup of it). Run it
      and walk away.