134627Re: Vim vs GVim

  • Benjamin Klein
    Nov 20, 2012
      On Nov 20, 2012, at 7:37 AM, David Fishburn <dfishburn.vim@...> wrote:

      I use Dropbox and SyncToy to synchronize my ~/.vim directory
      (~/vimfiles on Windows) and ~/.vimrc file across almost all the
      machines I use.

      I was also doing that and found SyncToy unbearable slow for such a small set of files.  I am wondering if you have encountered similar issues?  My Googling showed lots of people complaining.

      I switched over to using robocopy (or "Robust File Copy", http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(v=ws.10).aspx).  Any *nix boy would love it, it has about a 1000 switches ;)

      David

      On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
      On 2012-11-19, Heldraug wrote:
      > Just for the sake of it. Which flavor of Vim do you guys use? I
      > which operative system? Prefered colorscheme? Reason?
      >
      > I use terminal Vim only with a bunch of things loaded from
      > pathogen. I keep my personal configuration in Github so it's
      > straightforward to get it up and running.
      >
      > I use mainly Arch Linux with Terminator and OS X with iTerm. I
      > don't really like GVim because it takes more screen space, though
      > I like the fact it has a lot more colors and better colorschemes.
      > I prefer the fact that Vim is running in a terminal tab, though. I
      > haven't tried Tmux, but I've heard it plays nice with Vim.
      >
      > So, what do you guys use? What do you prefer? Terminal Vim or
      > GVim?

      I use vim almost all the time because I usually use it in
      conjunction with Linux command-line tools or remotely over an ssh
      connection, so I'm either already in a terminal when I start vim or
      I need a real terminal to capture the output of some program run
      from within vim.

      When I launch Vim from a GUI program, such as Firefox to edit a text
      area, or when I'm using Windows, then I use gvim.

      I use Dropbox and SyncToy to synchronize my ~/.vim directory
      (~/vimfiles on Windows) and ~/.vimrc file across almost all the
      machines I use.  Further, I have my .vimrc and my colorscheme files
      tuned to make Vim look and feel the same whether using Linux or
      Windows, vim or gvim.

      Tools such as Pathogen seem like overkill for the sets of plugins I
      use.  I've added two directories to my 'runtimepath' to help manage
      plugins:  one for the plugins I've created and one for vim-latex.
      All the other plugins contributed by others are in the standard
      places under ~/.vim.

      As others have mentioned, you can use 'guioptions' to turn off
      certain GUI features to save screen space.  I never use scrollbars
      or the tool bar, so I have these settings in my .vimrc:

          set guioptions-=l
          set guioptions-=L
          set guioptions-=r
          set guioptions-=R
          set guioptions-=T

      Regards,
      Gary

      I use vim in either iTerm2 or Terminal on OS X. I wish I could use Ubuntu Mint, but I am on a Mac and have not yet set it up; back when I used to use Mint, I used gedit instead of vim, but if I could use it again I would use vim in Konsole or another teminal-like application. I have never seen the appeal of GVim.

      Also I am beginning to use tmux, and I do use it with vim, but I am new to it and can't really offer any helpful tips there.