134552Re: New line not recognized

    Nov 17, 2012
      On 17/11/12 14:34, Christian Brabandt wrote:
      > Hi Tony!
      >
      > On Sa, 17 Nov 2012, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      >>> Is there any reason why this is not the default on unix?
      >>>
      >>> Jeroen
      >>>
      >> I'm not sure, but on Unix (well, on Linux) I have occasionally met
      >> files which had a lot of lone carriage-returns and yet weren't Mac
      >> files. This happens for instance when logging the stdout of a
      >> console program which displays a text-mode "progess bar" by using a
      >> CR to go to the left margin without advancing to the next line, in
      >> order to overwrite the line just written. ISTR that rsync used to do
      >> that (when I used it to keep my Vim source in sync before there was
      >> a Mercurial repository), and maybe Mercurial (with the "progress"
      >> extension), or the command-line "ftp" utility, do too. In that case
      >> you don't want to break the line at a lone CR but you may want to
      >> delete everything that precedes a CR which is not at the end of a
      >> line (CR at the end of a line, i.e. followed by a line-feed
      >> character, can be taken care of by reading the file with ++ff=dos).
      >
      > Sure enough, but that wouldn't have triggered Vim to set the fileformat
      > to mac. As long there are some newlines in there, you would be safe.
      >
      > regards,
      > Christian

      Quoting options.txt lines 2905 sqq under 'fileformats':

      > This means that "mac" is only chosen when:
      > "unix" is not present or no <NL> is found in the file, and
      > "dos" is not present or no <CR><NL> is found in the file.
      > Except: if "unix" was chosen, but there is a <CR> before
      > the first <NL>, and there appear to be more <CR>s than <NL>s in
      > the first few lines, "mac" is used.

      Depending on how the logging is done, in the case I mentioned there
      could very well be quite a lot of <CR>s before the first <NL>, and,
      let's say, something like fifty <CR>s before the fifth <NL>.

      UNIX was half a billion (500000000) seconds old on
      Tue Nov 5 00:53:20 1985 GMT (measuring since the time(2) epoch).
      -- Andy Tannenbaum