134521New line not recognized

  • Marco
    Nov 16, 2012
      Hi!

      I received a text file with tab-separated values. However, the
      entire file is displayed in one line and vim shows ^M symbols
      all over the text, which are U+000d characters (CR).

      I ran a search-replace to replace them with <CTRL-V><CR> and the
      file displays as it should. But what's the cause? Is the file
      malformed? I thought CR is the usual way of encoding a line ending.
      What do I need to change to make vim display the file correctly
      without changing it?

      What system might have saved the file? Usually I never have any
      problems opening files from Windows or Mac.

      The file in question can be downloaded here:
      http://freeshell.de/~mpfusion/1.txt (15 KiB)

      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Nov 12 2012 19:41:47)
      Included patches: 1-712

      on Debian Linux

      Marco