132015RE: Treat spaces as tabs only at the start of the line

  • John Beckett
    Jul 1, 2012
      Gerardo Marset wrote:
      > I have sofftabstop (and shiftwidth) set to 4, and expandtab
      > enabled. Thus, when deleting groups of spaces, vim treats
      > them as tabs and deletes them 4 at a time. I want vim to do
      > that only if from the start of the line and up to the
      > cursor's position there's only spaces and nothing else.

      I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, but are you aware that
      in insert mode you can press Ctrl-D to unindent the current line
      (remove one level of shiftwidth)? Does that help?

      I recently cleaned this up, although I don't think it helps
      your problem:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Shifting_blocks_visually

      John