131503Re: max colors in text based terminals

  • John Little
    Jun 4, 2012
      On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:26:30 PM UTC+12, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      > ...konsole implements the 256 colors (not 256 cubed but 256 /in toto/)...

      My konsole (2.7.4) really does do 256 cubed colours, 16Mi, or appears to be trying to as far as my eyes can see.
      Picking a colour randomly from rgb.txt, dark salmon, in bash:

      $ echo $'\e[38;2;233;150;122m hello \e[0m'

      Chris Jones asked:
      >The purpose of syntax highlighting being to help differentiate text
      >elements at a glance, I'm not sure the ability to display 16M colors
      >concurrently is in itself relevant.
      A developer looking at code all day long, every day, can tweak the colours to get ones he or she likes.

      >All the same, I'd be curious to know what the Konsole developers had in
      >mind when they implemented 16M colors support.

      Compatibility with guis, maybe. Or maybe it was just there.

      Regards, John