131489Re: max colors in text based terminals

  • Charlie Kester
    Jun 4, 2012
      On 06/03/2012 11:14 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
      > On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 08:38:31AM EDT, sinbad wrote:
      >
      >> my question is are there any terminal implementations that support
      >> more than 256 colors in text consoles not in gui.
      >
      > Konsole and derivatives support a 24-bit color palette, i.e. they let you
      > display 16,777,216 colors concurrently.

      But how many text-mode apps are there that can use more than 256 colors
      at a time?

      If they're using ncurses, they're limited by what that library supports.
      (256 colors max, IIRC.) Dittos for slang-based apps.

      It's been a while since I looked at konsole (I use roxterm myself), but
      what many terminal emulators let you do is map a subset of those 16M
      colors into the 256-color palette used by the apps. That's not quite
      the same as letting you display all 16M colors concurrently.