130800Re: vim says "No protocol specified" and I have no idea what it means

  • Kevin O'Gorman
    May 4, 2012
      On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Thilo Six <T.Six@...> wrote:
      > Hello Erik,
      >

      > Excerpt from Erik Christiansen:
      >
      > -- <snip> --
      >> That looks like a neat fix, Thilo.
      >>
      >> But is there a weakness in the OP's access control config?
      >> Here, on my ubuntu 10.04, unaltered and still as OOTB, starting X as
      >> "erik", doing an "su -", then vimming anything which stands still, has
      >> always worked, not least (I figure) because of:
      >>
      >> $ xhost
      >> access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
      >> SI:localuser:erik
      >> SI:localuser:gdm
      >> SI:localuser:root
      >>
      >> So just doing an:
      >>
      >> $ xhost +root
      >>
      >> in ~/.bash_profile might just do it too?
      >>
      >> Erik
      >
      > I am not impolite but we are getting out of the focus of this list.
      > Please ask this question again on an appropriate list.

      Huh? This was posted to vim_use, and it's about my difficulties using
      vim. It's a permissions problem that seems not to affect anything
      else, so we're talking about permissions and strategies and scriptlets
      to fix my problem using vim.

      I'll bite: where would it be more appropriate?

      --
      Kevin O'Gorman, PhD