130764OT: (was: vim says "No protocol specified" and I have no idea what it means)

  • Thilo Six
    May 2, 2012
      Hello

      Excerpt from Thilo Six:
      -- <snip> --
      >> I believe this is Vim trying to talk to your X server and failing.
      >> I suspect you're running X as non-root and then "su"'ed to root. A
      >> couple options exist depending on the solution you want:
      >>
      >> 1) try starting Vim with "-X" to tell vim not to bother connecting
      >> to the X server. It's fast, easy, and reliable, but loses the
      >> ability for root to use the X clipboards
      >>
      >> 2) link the ~user/.Xauthority to ~root/.Xauthority with
      >>
      >> ln -s ~user/.Xauthority ~root/.Xauthority
      >>
      >> This will give Vim-as-root the ability to talk to the X session. It
      >> has the small downside that, if you have multiple users logging into
      >> the machine, and you sit down arbitrarily at one of them (rather
      >> than always logging in as the same user), you'd have to relink the
      >> file each time (easily done by using "-f" and changing the username
      >> from "user" to "user2"). This is the solution I use on my Debian
      >> boxes at home.
      >>
      >> 3) blithely ignore the warning secure in knowing that it's only
      >> telling you that Vim-as-root can't talk to the X server.
      >
      > 4)
      > ,----[ ~/.bashrc ]--------
      >
      > if [[ ${EUID} -eq 0 ]] ; then
      > [[ -n ${DISPLAY} ]] && unset DISPLAY
      > fi
      > `---------------------------------------------
      >

      > ,----[ man su ]--------
      >
      > If --login is used, the $TERM, $COLORTERM, $DISPLAY,
      > and $XAUTHORITY environment variables are copied if
      > they were set.
      > `---------------------------------------------

      i just realised i should add a little note. Sometimes<Esc>bdwiRepeatedly i send
      emails with as little as that text with no surrounding information. Which might
      let me come accross quite bold. Which indeed i am not me thinks.
      I usually just find it boring to write comprehensive emails.

      >>> The same phrase seems to appear randomly over the editing session.
      >>
      >> Subsequent messages (after startup) _might_ occur under situations I
      >> can't readily confirm without reading the source or a good bit of
      >> experimentation, but I'd suspect that efforts to read/write from the
      >> clipboard registers ("+" and "*"), or perhaps losing and regaining
      >> focus might be possible candidates. However, #1 or #2 above should
      >> resolve the issue.
      >>
      >> -tim

      Thilo

      4096R/0xC70B1A8F