130432Groff for Vim manual?

  • howardb21
    Apr 14, 2012
      On Apr 10, 10:12 am, shawn wilson <ag4ve...@...> wrote:

      > I think a starting point would be to decide on a document format (tex
      > probably?) and a conversion process so that the book is easily updated with
      > the upstream? ... and a git for this to live (someone's github probably).

      I've had limited experience with LaTex in the past, but wonder if
      anyone thinks it might be a good idea to use Groff (version of troff),
      to format the manual? I've been working with it because of a client,
      Redhat and other Unix distributions now includes it, it allows
      automatic generation of a table of contents and index with hyperlinks
      (in html), by using section headings, it is simpler than html by far
      to maintain, and grpff provides conversion to postscript, pdf, or
      html. LaTex probably provides similar things, but troff is a bit more
      prevalent in default unix installations.

      Content wise, a good (somehow hyperlinked) index would increase the
      manual's usability a whole lot. But that usually takes a lot of hard
      work by real people - no easy automated solutions.