130394Re: Vim manual

  • Phil Dobbin
    Apr 13, 2012

      On 13/04/2012 06:56, Paul Isambert wrote:

      >>> If you're willing to use the latest engine LuaTeX instead of TeX,
      >>> I have written a package called Interpreter whose job is to
      >>> translate input files on the fly before TeX reads them (but during
      >>> the TeX compilation, it is not a preprocessor, LuaTeX lets you do
      >>> that). The obvious application (and actually, my motivation) is to
      >>> be able to write source files without TeX's \commands and
      >>> \what{ever} (I haven't used those for quite some time now); feeding
      >>> the Vim's manual directly to TeX that way is something I'd been
      >>> thinking about, but never done. The problem I fear is that the
      >>> syntax isn't unambiguous, but it'd be worth giving it a try.
      >>

      >> Hi, Paul.
      >>
      >> Yes, I'd be very interested in trying that. I have LuaTex installed
      >> alongside Tex & texlive on both my production & development boxes
      >> (Debian for Prod, OS X for devel).
      >>
      >> I don't know everybody else's opinions on the subject but we could
      >> set-up a GitHub repository maybe to try the ideas out. I'm amenable to
      >> any suggestions.
      >>
      >> Let me know what you think.
      >
      > For the GitHub repository, I have absolutely no experience in that, so I
      > have no idea either. Otherwise, if we're going to use Interpreter, then
      > the first step would be a description of the syntax of the Vim manual,
      > so that I can start writing an ``interpretation file'' (which gives the
      > translation between the input and the TeX output) as required by the
      > package.

      - From the Wikipedia entry for GitHub:

      'Git is a version control tool. Github is a "web-based hosting service
      for projects that use the Git revision control system"'.

      It has many similarities to SourceForge & similar operations. It's
      greatest benefit is that not only can you check in your code to version
      control but you can then have a mirror of your local repository at
      GitHub so that other collaborators on a project can also "pull" code &
      "push" code to the project thereby obviating the need to send emails
      with attachments back & forth & so on.

      There are two types of repo available: free which read & write enabled
      for everybody but in order to make changes to the repo they have to send
      a pull request to its owners or paid which is read only but pull
      requests can still be sent.

      Either way virtually all repos on GitHub can be obtained by using "git
      clone".

      Git itself is very to install (they do packages that are binaries if you
      so wish) & it is available from most all package managers/distros.

      As for a description of the syntax, do you mean as in a SOL (Simple
      Object Language) description or something along those lines?

      Cheers,

      Phil...

      - --
      But masters, remember that I am an ass.