130328Re: Vim manual

  • Paul Isambert
    Apr 11, 2012
      Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> a écrit:

      > On 10/04/2012 22:01, Andre Majorel wrote:
      >
      > > On 2012-04-10 18:37 +0100, Phil Dobbin wrote:
      > >
      > >> Putting the documents (manual & reference) into tex I think is
      > >> the best way to go & will result in a much better looking final
      > >> PDF from which to print.
      > >
      > > What do you have in mind ?
      > >
      > > If you just put all the text in a giant monospace verbatim, it
      > > won't be much better (or worse) that the output of vimpspp. Page
      > > breaks and page numbering may be easier, though.
      > >
      > > If you intend to reflow the text, there is much to gain. But then
      > > you need to know what is, in HTML parlance, <pre>, what is <code>
      > > and what is neither. Dunno how easy/hard that is.
      > >
      > > In any case, it's essential that the process be as automated as
      > > possible. EG, program reads /usr/share/vim/vim*/doc/ and spits out
      > > {man,ref}.ps. Otherwise, the files will always lag behind.
      >

      > Well, I have this crazy idea of taking the plain text files, flowing
      > them into markdown, then converting them into tex to be typeset & then
      > generating a PDF ready for print.
      >
      > All perfectly possible using Pandoc, Vim & Lulu, just a question of
      > how viable it is.
      >
      > Any thoughts appreciated.

      If you're willing to use the latest engine LuaTeX instead of TeX, I
      have written a package called Interpreter whose job is to translate
      input files on the fly before TeX reads them (but during the TeX
      compilation, it is not a preprocessor, LuaTeX lets you do that). The
      obvious application (and actually, my motivation) is to be able to write
      source files without TeX's \commands and \what{ever} (I haven't used
      those for quite some time now); feeding the Vim's manual directly to TeX
      that way is something I'd been thinking about, but never done. The
      problem I fear is that the syntax isn't unambiguous, but it'd be worth
      giving it a try.

      Best,
      Paul