130321Re: Vim manual

  • Phil Dobbin
    Apr 11, 2012

      On 10/04/2012 22:01, Andre Majorel wrote:

      > On 2012-04-10 18:37 +0100, Phil Dobbin wrote:
      >
      >> Putting the documents (manual & reference) into tex I think is
      >> the best way to go & will result in a much better looking final
      >> PDF from which to print.
      >
      > What do you have in mind ?
      >
      > If you just put all the text in a giant monospace verbatim, it
      > won't be much better (or worse) that the output of vimpspp. Page
      > breaks and page numbering may be easier, though.
      >
      > If you intend to reflow the text, there is much to gain. But then
      > you need to know what is, in HTML parlance, <pre>, what is <code>
      > and what is neither. Dunno how easy/hard that is.
      >
      > In any case, it's essential that the process be as automated as
      > possible. EG, program reads /usr/share/vim/vim*/doc/ and spits out
      > {man,ref}.ps. Otherwise, the files will always lag behind.

      Well, I have this crazy idea of taking the plain text files, flowing
      them into markdown, then converting them into tex to be typeset & then
      generating a PDF ready for print.

      All perfectly possible using Pandoc, Vim & Lulu, just a question of
      how viable it is.

      Any thoughts appreciated.

      Cheers,

      Phil...