130280Re: Vim manual

  • Andre Majorel
    Apr 10, 2012
      On 2012-04-10 18:37 +0100, Phil Dobbin wrote:

      > Putting the documents (manual & reference) into tex I think is the best
      > way to go & will result in a much better looking final PDF from which to
      > print.

      What do you have in mind ?

      If you just put all the text in a giant monospace verbatim, it
      won't be much better (or worse) that the output of vimpspp. Page
      breaks and page numbering may be easier, though.

      If you intend to reflow the text, there is much to gain. But
      then you need to know what is, in HTML parlance, <pre>, what is
      <code> and what is neither. Dunno how easy/hard that is.

      In any case, it's essential that the process be as automated as
      possible. EG, program reads /usr/share/vim/vim*/doc/ and spits
      out {man,ref}.ps. Otherwise, the files will always lag behind.

      Subliminal message : Vim needs arbitrary tab stops.