126313Re: replace e flag works in command but fails if that command in key mapping

    Oct 2, 2011
      On 02/10/11 16:04, porphyry5 wrote:
      > Well, I think I finally have this figured out. If I'm using sessions,
      > any session includes its own .vimrc, being that .vimrc in effect when
      > the session was first begun. Then changing the actual .vimrc file has
      > no effect on the session, because it will never reload the
      > actual .vimrc. So if I want to change a mapping in .vimrc, and have
      > the benefit of that change in my session, I must make the new mapping
      > explicitly in the current session, as well as in .vimrc.

      On the contrary, starting Vim with -S will source your vimrc first; but
      then it will proceed with your session file, which may override anything
      your vimrc has set.

      You may use sessions without running :mksession -- a session file is
      just a Vim script sourced after your vimrc, usually to set up your
      windows and tabs and such. You can create one by hand, e.g. as

      cd ~
      e file1.txt
      new file2.txt
      new /path/to/file3.txt
      lcd %:h
      tabnew /someotherpathto/file4.txt
      tabnew file5.txt
      tab help
      tabnext " wrap around to first tab
      wincmd w " wrap around to first window

      You can even name it ~/Session.vim, then "vim -S" or "gvim -S" will run
      it; and they will use all the settings of your vimrc too.

      There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn
      what it is I'll get married again.
      -- Clint Eastwood