125691Re: Installing on OSX 10.4.7

  • Taylor Hedberg
    Aug 31 8:32 AM
      David Fishburn, Wed 2011-08-31 @ 11:15:36-0400:
      > -bash-2.05b$ /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim dave.txt
      > dyld: Library not loaded:
      > /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python
      > Referenced from: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
      > Reason: image not found
      > Trace/BPT trap
      >

      > Looking at the version I downloaded:
      >

      > vim7.0.224.tar.bz2 <http://macvim.org/OSX/files/binaries/OSX10.4/vim7.0.224.tar.bz2>(6448148
      > bytes, last modified 2007/03/30)
      > vim 7.0.224 Universal Binary:*stable*
      > Comments: +cscope +perl +python +ruby +tcl
      > +atsui and guitab experimental patches
      >

      > So, it has the +perl, +python and so on.
      > I was able to create some links to get around the Perl error (Perl
      > is already installed in a different directory), but I wonder if Vim
      > is failing to launch since it cannot file these libraries.
      >
      > I thought Vim was supposed to just not load it and continue, but
      > perhaps it is different on OSX? It becomes fatal if it cannot load
      > the libraries.

      Yeah, it appears to be trying to load a Python library and failing to do
      so, I'm guessing because AppleTVs don't have Python. I don't use OS X so
      I don't know much about its behavior in this regard.

      My suggestion would be to obtain an OS X Vim binary compiled without the
      "+python" option. You could compile it yourself if you have an actual
      Mac with the same version of OS X as the AppleTV, or if the AppleTV
      itself has a C toolchain (make, gcc, ld, etc.--I doubt very much that
      these tools are installed, though). Barring that, I would say just hunt
      around on the web and see if you can find one already built that way. I
      wouldn't be too surprised if somebody else has tried to install Vim on
      an AppleTV before.

      Alternatively, you could try to find a copy of that Python library to
      drop on the AppleTV, and set the LD_PRELOAD variable in Vim's
      environment so it can find it.

      Of course, it might be worth it to just get used to using nano,
      depending on how much effort you want to put into this.