123708Re: Folding

  • Eric Weir
    Jun 3, 2011
      On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:36 AM, Gary Johnson wrote:

      > I don't like all that clutter in the fold line, either, but I do
      > like to see the number of lines in the fold, so I modified the
      > appearance of the fold line with this in my ~/.vimrc.
      >
      > set foldtext=MyFoldText()
      >
      > " MyFoldText()
      > "
      > " This is intended to be the same as the default foldtext()
      > " function, but without the text of the first line of the fold.
      > " See f_foldtext() in eval.c to see how the string is built.
      > "
      > function! MyFoldText()
      > let n = v:foldend - v:foldstart + 1
      > let i = indent(v:foldstart)
      > let istr = ''
      > while i > 0
      > let istr = istr . ' '
      > let i = i - 1
      > endwhile
      > return istr . "+-" . v:folddashes . " " . n . " lines "
      > endfunction
      >
      > You could do something similar to get the appearance you want. I
      > wrote it before the repeat() function was available, so it could
      > probably be rewritten with five fewer lines today.

      Thanks, Gary. As I mentioned in my original post on this thread, I'm not a programmer. I think I understand what this does, but from your description, not the code. As I understand it eliminates all text except the number of lines. I want to eliminate the number of lines and keep the text from the first line of the fold. And I have absolutely no idea how to go about revising the code to make it do what I want.

      Thanks again nevertheless.

      Sincerely,
      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA USA