123050Re: sorting based on numercial value

  • Reid Thompson
    May 2, 2011
      On 5/2/2011 6:53 PM, Reid Thompson wrote:
      > On 5/2/2011 6:49 PM, John Beckett wrote:
      >> googler wrote:
      >>> I have a text file with a number of lines in it. Each line
      >>> has the same format, say something like below.
      >>>
      >>> <string1> <string2> <number> <string3>
      >>>
      >>> I want to sort this file based on the numerical value of the
      >>> <number> field. How can I do this in vim? Thanks.
      >> If there are no numbers in string1 and string2:
      >> :sort n
      >>
      >> The 'n' gives a numeric sort, based on the first number in each
      >> line. It is also possible to include a pattern. There are two
      >> options. First, skip everything up to and including the pattern
      >> (sort on what comes next; that's the default). Second (if r flag
      >> specified), sort on the text matching the pattern.
      >>
      >> If a problem, give real examples of typical data.
      >>
      >> John
      >>
      > if the internal sort won't meet the requirements, use an external one
      > and read the results back into the buffer

      using v or ctrl-v to select all text...
      and then applying the external sort with appropriate params(wouldn't
      need the full path to sort depending on how your system is setup)

      aaaa bbbb cccc 1 adsff
      bbbb aaaa cccc 4 adsff
      dddd aaaa cccc 5 adsff
      dddd cccc aaaa 2 adsff